Ozark Valley Bison Farm is
Animal Welfare Approved
Animal Welfare Approved by A Greener World is the most rigorous standards for farm animal welfare and environmental sustainability currently in use by any U.S. farm program. Their standards have been developed in collaboration with scientists, veterinarians, researchers and farmers across the globe to maximize practicable, high-welfare farm management with the environment in mind. We're one of only two labels in the U.S. that require audited, high-welfare slaughter practices, and is the only label that additionally requires pasture access for all animals.
A Greener World standards are proven to be achievable in the vast majority of farm situations, and they are updated regularly to incorporate new research or to reflect "best practice". The basic premise of all their standards is that animals must be able to behave naturally and be in a state of physical and psychological well-being, and that the way we raise our animals, the nutritional quality of the food they produce, and the impact of the farming system on the environment are all intrinsically linked.
Animal Welfare Approved:
- requires animals to be raised on pasture or range
- prohibits dual production
- awards approval only to family farmers
- charges no fees to participating farmers
- incorporates the most comprehensive standards for high welfare farming
To accomplish the goals of the Animal Welfare Approved program, all standards address every aspect of each species' lifecycle needs from birth to death. Animal Welfare Approved works diligently to maintain a farm's ability to be economically viable and the standards have been proven to be achievable by the vast majority of farm situations. Animal Welfare Approved reviews its standards annually, updating them as needed to incorporate new research and on-farm findings.
View the Bison and Calves Standards
- High-welfare farm management practices, independently verified by farm audit to a published set of standards.
- An independent family farm businesses — not a farmer contracted to serve a corporation
- Environmentally-friendly farming practices, independently verified by farm audit to a published set of standards.
- Responsible farm medicine use - including controls on antibiotics - independently verified by farm audit to a published set of standards.
- No cages, crates or confinement systems--ever. Animals are free to express natural behaviors and socialize.
- Pasture-based management. Animals must have continuous access to pasture or range.
- Farm management practices that minimize water use and pollution risk to water supplies
- Farm management practices that minimize greenhouse gas emissions to the environment.
- High-welfare slaughter procedures, independently verified by audit to a published set of standards